What Are GMOs

Manufactured food has come under attack over the last few years as consumers are demanding to know what is in the food they are eating. Those inquiries have spilled over into the manufacturing of pet food as well. Not only do we want the health of our families to be good, we also want our furry friends to be well cared for. It is important to find out what you are really feeding your pets.

What Are GMOs:
GMO’s (Genetically Modified Organisms) are organisms and microorganisms that have been genetically altered in some way. These scientific techniques have been widely used to modify crops such as corn and soy to make them more resistant to pests.

Not only do GMO’s affect the food we as humans eat, but also the food that is produced for our pets. Keeping our pets healthy is our responsibility, and the choices we make will greatly affect them.

Why Are GMOs Dangerous:
There are always dangers to the health of any living creature that eats food created in a science lab. The long-term effects that genetically modified foods have on us and our pets has not been completely explored. The FDA has not posed the strict regulations on genetically modified foods that they have with other drugs and consumed products. Therefore the full extent of the necessary research has not been conducted.

However, from the tests that were performed on rats in 2012 by Hussein Kaoud, alarming results were discovered. Self-funded, Kaoud fed nine different groups of rats genetically modified corn; which is one of the most commonly engineered crop. Only 10% of the food that was fed to the rats was genetically altered. The remaining 90% was from normal food sources. It only took four weeks of feeding the rats a small percentage of GMO corn for effects to be noticed.

The rats experienced a reduction in the size of their kidneys, kidney failure, and spleen ruptures into the stomach. Also, brain function was reduced and the rats did not hold as much memory or the ability to learn as efficiently.

Not only were the rats affected, but their offspring experienced health problems as well. There was a higher fetal mortality rate and the baby rats were smaller than those that were not fed genetically modified corn.

These tests were administered on lab rats, and we do not know the full effect they can have on humans. However, from these tests we can glean that animals, at the least, are negatively impacted by genetically modified food. When these GMO crops are put in our pet food, then we can be sure that it is harming the health of our pets.

Conventional Pet Food:
Conventional pet food manufacturers will not willingly communicate on the nutrition labels that their products contain genetically modified ingredients. In fact, they state quite the opposite and tout that their products are “wholesome”, “healthy”, and “veterinarian recommended” even if their products contain dangerously unhealthy GMOs.

It is to your benefit to read the labels of ingredients before purchasing food for your animal. If corn, corn gluten, soybeans, or wheat gluten are among the top of the list, it is best to stay away from these manufacturers. It can be assumed that these crops have been genetically modified unless otherwise stated on the packaging.

Organic, Non-GMO Pet Food:
There are a growing number of alternative food choices in the pet food industry as pet enthusiasts push for better quality products for their animals. All of the products on GMOFreePetFood.com are, to the best of our knowledge, Non-GMO, healthy alternatives to the popular conventional pet foods on the market today. Consider choosing one of the following pet companies to give your pet the healthy bodies they need.

  • Victor Super Premium Dog Food – this family owned pet food company with your pet’s health and interest at the head of the operation. They strive to make quality recipes that are GMO-free. There are 14 different blends that will increase your pet’s health. All of the blends focus no less than 67% of the ingredients on protein, which is a vital part of your pet’s dietary needs. They offer a few grain free formulas as well.

  • Castor & Pollux – since the year 2000 they have been producing a quality line of natural specialty food and supplies for pets. Castor & Pollux has a pet-loving team of experts in animal nutrition, organic and natural ingredients, processing, packaging, distribution, veterinary medicine, and technology working hard to provide your pets with one of the healthiest pet foods available.

These are just three of the brands we support, but there are many other great quality products we support and have available for purchase on our website.

Now is the time to begin thinking of your pet’s nutritional needs the same way you think of your loved ones needs. After all, your pet is a thriving and loved member of your family. Give your pets the best chance they have at a healthy and vibrant life.